Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2006 Nissan pathfinder car stays running when u

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Nissan pathfinder car stays running when u take keys out until u hit the brake. running lights stay on after car is shut off also. sometimes car wont restart
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

That sounds like you may have a remote start in the truck. Did you check to see there may be a remote start and after market alarm in the truck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the customer said there was nothing installed
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

When the parking lights come on, that is a feature of a after market alarm. That could also keep the truck from starting. A after market alarm has to be installed for a remote start to operate. So it sounds like that system maybe acting up causing your issue.

If they are not the original owner, it could have already been installed and they never know it. Seen it many times where cars are bought and after market alarms are found when changing a battery or when diagnosing issues.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Did you peak under the drivers side dash to see if maybe something looks after market under the dash?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i did not see anything is there a factory security system that may cause this
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

There is nothing in this truck that can cause this. That is why I am suggesting possibly something after market.

The factory security system if it goes off, only the head lights will flash and horn will go off. These trucks don't have any type of remote start option for the truck to even remain running when the key is turned. Stepping on the brake pedal when shutting the truck off is a signal to a after market system.

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

So the parking lights and the fact you have to step on the brake pedal is a strong indication that something after market is in the truck. Of course I am not expecting the owner to know this if they are not the original owner.

Did this issue start after the battery was replaced or something?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no it happened to the customer before. no aftermarket remote starter. thank u but we are closing now will have to look more into it monday
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Ok.. Look for wires tapped into the BCM on Monday. That would verify my thoughts.