internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

P1320 code on 1998 200sx. P1320 and no, car wont start,

Customer Question

P1320 code on 1998 200sx.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P1320 and no, car wont start
JA: Are you fixing your 200SX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the fuel pump, filter. Daughters car and once she shut it off it just turns over without starting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only one code p1320
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

I could tell you from the experience the distributor assembly is bad. You will need to replace the whole unit.

95% of the time is the distributor.

This is how I test it.

1. Backprobe and check for good battery voltage on both sides of the ignition coil on the Black/Red wire and the Green wire in the two wire connector at the distributor with the key on.

2. Backprobe and check for good battery voltage to the CMP sensor on the White/Red wire in terminal 5 of the six wire distributor connector with the key on.

3. Backprobe and check the grounds for the CMP sensor and the power transistor on the two Black wires in terminals 2 and 6 of the six wire distributor connector - look for 0.05 volts or less to be ok.

4. Unplug the six wire distributor connector and turn the key on and check for 5.0 volt reference from the Engine Control Module (ECM) on the Blue wire in terminal 3 and on the Black/White wire in terminal 4 of the six wire distributor connector.

5. Plug the six wire distributor connector back in and backprobe and scope the two CMP sensor signals on the Blue wire and the Black/White wire and look for clean consistent 0-5 volt square wave signals on both. The Black/White wire should be a 0-5 volt square wave signal every 1 degree of crankshaft rotation. The Blue wire should be a 0-5 volt square wave signal every 180 degree of crankshaft rotation with three narrow signals and one wide signal with the wide signal denoting cylinder #1.

6. Scope the signal to the base of the power transistor on the White/Black wire in terminal 1 of the six wire distributor connector. Look for a 0 to 2-4 volt sawtooth pattern while cranking.

The ignition coil, power transistor, and CMP sensor are all located inside the distributor.

Please rate me positive, thank you.