Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

When I turned the ignition switch to "On", the little "P"

Customer Question

When I turned the ignition switch to "On", the little "P" light on the dash begins to blink and continues blinking for about 3 seconds then stays lit. What could this mean??. This is a 2002 Altima SE version.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I have checked all the fuses, including those under the hood, and all were good. The dash bulbs all appear to work fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm working on it myself. I had the guys at AutoZone do a check with their electronic diagnostics analyzer and no codes explaining this phenomenon came up. I also took the car to a trans. shop and they said they cannot do anything until the trans. begins to actually malfunction, which hasn't happened yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of any thing else.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- the P sign , is only telling you a fault has occurred in the transmission and to have it scanned with a factory scanner or equivalent.

2- unfortunately the auto zone scanner is only a Engine code reader ,so can only read engine fault codes,so if engine is fine ,it will come up with no fault /DTC .

3- now I would think the trans shop has a capable scanner, but i can not be sure if they hooked up and try to retrieve fault codes from tans module & do they have the correct software in it to read your car .

4- what is the car doing ,is shifting good, has full power ,check eng light on or just P sign ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat