Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I'm trying to install a taximeter to a 2016 Nissan Altima

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to install a taximeter to a 2016 Nissan Altima here in the Philippines we are looking for the vehicle speed signal we can tap into for the meter input signal wire. We were told that we would be needing a CAN BUS interface in order to get the vehicle speed. Do you know if there is an speed signal output wire from vehicle ecu where we can tap the taximeter to? Thank you very much.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've checked wires in the instrument panel gauge but there seems to be no wire related to speed. There are ten wires in said location.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Fuses not yet. No i do not have a wiring diagram.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically I just need to know where i can tapped the speed signal wire from the taximeter (input) to the vehicle's speed signal wire (output?).
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you are trying to tap into the car to capture the vehicle speed, that is next to impossible now. These cars use all 4 ABS sensors to determine vehicle speed. That signal goes to the transmission and cluster that that info it then shared to the Ecm from that point. So there is no speed sensor.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

The only way to accomplish this is if the Taximeter you have has some sort of sub harness to plug into the meter to capture and share the signal.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i'm sending the installation file of the meter so you may study the wires? The meter has a harness for it to be tapped to vehicle speed sensor wire (which in this vehicle it has none). A friend suggested a solution, for me to install a can bus interface which is more expensive than the taximeter. I'm really searching for an economical solution i.e. not to use can bus interface https://sailesmarketing.com/shop/can-bus-interfaces/cb-1-can-bus-interface/ .
Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

I would need to spend some time reviewing this info after work to see what can be done to install it. Can you wait till later this evening?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sure thank you Jay.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 days ago.

That wiring diagram is horrible!!! I can't make anything out of that. I would recommend you don't mess with it and have it installed by a installer that has done it. Other wise you can damage control units if not hooked up properly.