Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I am replacing the alternator on a 2010 Nissan Murano LE

Customer Question

I am replacing the alternator on a 2010 Nissan Murano LE AWD. The procedure in the Alldatadiy.com service manual involves removing the AC compressor. I do not have the equipment to evacuate the AC system and I would prefer not to incur the expense of recharging the system after the repair.Can you provide an alternative method?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Changing the alternator on this engine is a bear. You can leave the AC compressor lines connected and wiggle the alternator out without losing any freon, but it's not easy. I'm not sure why they designed it that way, but it's impossible the remove the alternator with the AC compressor bolted on. I assume you have this diagram:

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

This guy does it by moving the AC compressor out of the way on an older model than yours, but it's the same exact set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WgN5r-5JU

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

This guy shows how he pulled it out the top by removing the radiator hoses, fan shroud, and fans. It's in spanish, but you get the idea. Basically what he says is that it can be done without removing the compressor, but he had to unplug the connector from the top of the compressor to give enough space. I think it would be easier if you just unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way as far as you can like the first guy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm659QokA1E