Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2001 Nissan Altima half the dash lights not working. No,

Customer Question

2001 Nissan Altima half the dash lights not working.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, wouldn't all the dashlights be out if it was a fuse? There are no specifications for dash light bulbs.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would fix it if I knew how.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 19 days ago.

hey there, thanks for the question.

When you say HALF the dash lights, are you referring to the gauge cluster? or all the interior dash lights including a/c, radio, etc?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Gauge cluster
Expert:  Jake replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

There are actually 2 fuses for the cluster itself, but one of them should control all illumination functions for it so it's unlikely that a fuse is at fault. They are both at the interior fuse panel though if you wanted to double check.

Your only LIKELY causes here are that the cluster itself had a short in the unified meter. You could probably find the burn mark of exactly where if you took it out and removed the back. This would require the cluster be replaced to correct. The other possibility would be corrosion at the connector for the cluster itself. This is fairly easy to check by removing the clamshell covers, and the cluster itself.

If you have further questions please ask. If not feel free to leave a kind rating.

thanks.

Expert:  Jake replied 12 days ago.

did you need further assistance?