Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Fuel gauge registers 1/4 tank but it runs out of gas at that

Customer Question

Fuel gauge registers 1/4 tank but it runs out of gas at that point
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes everything else is OK
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Nizzan Pathfinder Armada
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to try myself I have done nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Has the Fuel level sensor been checked? It sounds like the fuel level sensor or the Gauge may not be reading properly if you are running out of gas when it's reading 1/4 of a tank.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK no I have not checked anything I will start there, where is it? I think I may start with the fuel gauge there are many after market on line.
Expert:  Jay replied 16 days ago.

The fuel level sensor is in the fuel tank. I recommend when it comes to electrical parts like this, you stick with the dealer. You don't want to do this job more than one time. When it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work properly.

I would start by having that level sensor checked to see if that is your issue. If not, then the gauge is your issue which would require the whole cluster assembly to be replaced.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Jay one last thing. The fuel gauge does not register full either. It registers between 3/4 and full tank when I completely fill it. Put 28 gls in the gas hog and it still didn't register full, went up to about 7/8 tank maybe a little less. I'm thinking it is probably the sensor. I will make an appt.
Expert:  Jay replied 14 days ago.

The Fuel Level sensor is what sends the gauge the fuel amount in the tank. So you need to check that fuel level sensor to see if it's operating properly first. If with in spec, then it's the gauge. If out of spec then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 14 days ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Jay for all the help. I will troubleshoot everything and get it fixed.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 days ago.

Thanks Jay!