tracker40
tracker40, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,35 years experience, Shop owner, electrical specialist
13677702

I have a 2000 Frontier 4x4 water pump replacement $1250.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Frontier 4x4 water pump replacement $1250 . Rear main seal $1850. Valve cover both sides $850. Work done at dealer. Is these prices reasonable? I think inflated.
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: At the dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  tracker40 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, not possible to say what parts cost as they may be using new parts and not aftermarket but I can list labor rates per the book times. And yes, in my opinion? they are VERY high prices.Lets assume the shop rate is $120 per hour

With that said? labor for the water pump is 4.0 hours which = $480 Labor for the rear main is 9 hours = $1080 and labor for the valve cover gaskets is 305 hours = $420 so add in oil , antifreeze, misc shop materials and the parts? I am not coming close to what they are charging you. As example. the rear main should be about $1200 total. Water[pump about $650 and the valve cover gaskets about $450. I surely would question why they are so high and what are they actually charging for, The labor times I just listed are direct from t he labor guide book in which most all shops follow. For some reason they are inflating or adding things in OR their labor rate is VERY high per hour. I would def question them