Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2007 Nissan Frontier - won't crank or start. I've previously

Customer Question

2007 Nissan Frontier - won't crank or start. I've previously replaced the ecm relay, but am now experiencing the same symptoms. Replaced the ecm relay again, ipdm, and crankshaft position sensor but did not fix the problem.
Battery is fine and lights do not dim when turning key. No sounds coming from engine except for buzzing that appears to come from the throttle body. Cabin fuses are good.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David, does the security light go out when trying to start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi David, yes the red light with key goes away when the key is inserted and turned to start.

ok. when the key is turned to the run position does the check engine light come on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the check engine and various other lights are lit. I checked with a basic scan tool and received the CAN code U1000.

ok. thanks

even this tsb is for 2005-6 i thinks its worth checking out and applying the same steps.

http://www.autocodes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB06-009a.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, I'll give it a try. It's getting late, so I'll probably wait until tomorrow. This wouldn't be related to the IPDM replacement?It might help to provide some more detail from my end as well. The first time this happened, I pressed the gas pedal a couple times then tried turning the key several times, and managed to get it to start. Also, soon before it it reached this state, I would experience a jolt from the transmission when letting off the gas at low speed.In addition, I replaced the radiator cap due to leakage. From my own research, I'm aware this model has radiator issues that could leak into the transmission. Should I be concerned the TCM is shot?

I wouldnt worry about that yet. but check the coolant and make sure tranny fluid isnt present. those tranny cooler lines are huge problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, I checked the grounds inside the engine bay and everything looks good. Also, the readings did not match the chart from your service bulletin.I checked the tranny dipstick and it looked pretty dirty. Not cloudy, but had pieces of dirt or metal on it.

what color was the fluid?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From the dipstick, it appeared brownish. I can't see much from the radiator's overflow tank. I did add radiator sealant a few months ago when I first noticed the leak. That might explain the dirt type substance.

the tranny fluid needs to be bright red and not smell burnt. and you should NEVER add any knid of sealer to the cooling system. it will harden, break up and clog vital coolant passages damaging the water pump also.

you need to drop the tranny pan and see what else metal is laying on the bottom.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good to know. I thought it might be good as a temporary solution until I replaced the radiator.Ok, I checked the tranny stick again and its a light brown color with a redish tone. Also, it did not have a distinct smell. The dirt was mostly on the first couple pulls. The truck is currently not in spot to due any heavy work, thus I can't drop the tranny pan.

ok, well i still have to recommend to drop it and check for metal and change fluid and filter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, will do when I get a chance. Although, I still need to figure out why it wont start and that won't make a difference.

can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key to the run position?

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, things have been busy with the holidays. I checked this morning, and I can hear the fuel pump engage when turning the key. It is functional.

ok. try to start in in neutral

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Already tried that, no luck.

so when you try to start, theres nothing? no noise whatsoever?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. No sounds, no clicking, nothing. As I mentioned originally, I had the same symptoms before and replaced the ECM relay. This fixed the problem, but now it doesn't seem to work.

check the connections at the starter. big cable and smaller solenoid wire. or we can pull the starter rerlay and jumper it, to see if we get it to at least crank

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm on vacation at the moment and will try jumping the starter when I return on Thurs.
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

ok. thanks

Do you still need assistance?

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you provide some detail on jumping the starter directly?

do you have power at the starter?

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't look at this everyday - I have a job.I asked for more details on jumping the starter. Do I connect the battery to the starter directly?

we all have jobs. just trying to do mine. plus run a shop.