Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My 1999 Nissan Pathfinder would not start on September 23.

Customer Question

My 1999 Nissan Pathfinder would not start on September 23. Removed the battery, had it tested and it had a bad cell. Replaced with good battery rated well for extreme cold temps. On November 13 again it would not start - temps had gotten to 29 over night. All lights and power were bright. Jumped the battery and let the car run. Everything seemed fine so assumed (not proven) a dome light had been left on for 4 days while out of town. The night of November 15 when starting all dash lights darkened and it sounded like it wouldn't start because of lack of power but it did start barely. I did not feel comfortable driving it where I was going late at night so it didn't have a chance to recharge while running so I suspect it will be dead this morning. The dome lights and dash lights seem bright except when I was turning the key in the ignition. Could I have gotten a bad battery when I got it in September or is this alternator more likely?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 18 days ago.

Hi Im David, sounds to me like you need to get a multimeter and check voltage at the battery full charged. then check the voltage at the battery while the vehicle is being cranked, then again while the vehicle is running. then i can tell you what it is that i believe is going on.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Don't have multimeter. Recharged battery and all systems go...until it dies again. I will just have to take it to Nissan to find out what is wrong with it. I thought the details I gave might be enough to make a guess as to defective battery or possible alternator going bad.
Expert:  david craig replied 17 days ago.

thats what i was getting at. its called a correct diagnosis. I dont guess. Guessing doesnt fix things. It wastes time and money.

Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still require help with this?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Jay,After my messages from Craig on Justanswer.com, I went to Nissan to see if it could be a alternator on the fritz. I was assured after giving them the info above that it could not be that but most likely the battery. I went to the location where I had purchased it and the computer test shows something is actively draining the battery with no key in the ignition and everything turned off and unplugged. Being that it is a 1999 it is not loaded with electronics like a newer vehicle. Anyway, diagnostics will have to be run to determine what isn't turning off that should be.So, after running around from location to location I have at least eliminated some issues but will have to carry cables around until the mystery is solved.Thank you for checking
Expert:  Jay replied 17 days ago.

I was going to ask you if you had a Volt Meter. There is basic checks you can do with that to help determine your issue.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This issue was not a good fit for justanswer so I had to go to Nissan. It turns out that the issue with my Pathfinder seemed to completely defy logic.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 days ago.

Defy logic in what way? What did the dealer find?