Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Got back to my car. I noticed stuff was moved around

Customer Question

Got back to my car. I noticed stuff was moved around -someone broke in and was picking through. I never keep valuables. Nothing to steal OK. But now the ignition key won't turn at all.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Key is excellent. Steering wheel turned. Until I turned & locked it. Tried ask the standard tricks wiggling key & wheel.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Nissan 300zx, 1994
JA: Are you fixing your 300ZX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just drove to the Dr. Worked fine. I rarely try to fix anything. Just charging the battery or new w with wipers.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. Had some work done 2dayS ago - new tires, fluids . Nothing ignition.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

The person who broke in most likely tried to steal the car and cracked the ignition cylinder internally. Unfortunately the ignition lock cylinder has to be replaced as one complete assembly. It's not terribly hard to replace, but you have to pull the steering wheel and the dash panels. Do you want to attempt to replace it yourself?