Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

When i turn on the ignition on i do not have an air bag

Customer Question

when i turn on the ignition on i do not have an air bag warning light,its on a 350z cabrolet,don't know if somebody has turned it of for racing,(track car)thus it won't pass vehicle inspection,cheers pete.
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: no,i thought the dash light should come on in like a test sequence when ign is turned on.
JA: What year is your 350Z?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had a scan tool put on it but it finds no errors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats all thanks
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you know if you can communicate with the Air Bag control unit?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
scan tool said 'no fault' codes
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
can the airbag light be turned of for track days
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
HOW ABOUT AN ANSWER..
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

Sorry for the late reply.

If you can scan the vehicle and communicate with the air bag control module but have no codes, I would pull the cluster and see if the bulb was removed for the air bag light. The air bag system can not be turned off. It would either be disabled by unplugging the control module and then having the bulb pulled in the cluster. That is why I asked if you can communicate with the air bag control module.

Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

So I would be pulling the cluster and inspecting the Air Bag light bulb and see if that was removed, and if it's there, swap it with another bulb and just test it to see if it illuminates when the key is turned to the ON position for bulb check.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the instrument cluster only has 3 globes in it for the back light,all warning lights are diodes,and i've never known of 1 to blow as they will take at least 36 volts,i am still wondering if the light can be turned of for track days(previous owner)
Expert:  Jay replied 18 days ago.

This is the first year that they did that on the Z's. Making them part of the board and not have a bulb. Well the only thing you can do is ohm pin 2 at the cluster which is a Red wire with a black strip to the air bag control module. ( battery disconnected ). Then if that is good, it's either going to be the air bag control unit causing the light, or the cluster. You can't really do diagnostics on air bag wiring.