Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My 08 Pathfinder will not start. it turns over but will not

Customer Question

My 08 Pathfinder will not start. it turns over but will not start. It has a new Fuel pump, starter relay and they checked the starter and alternator and they are good. It has a new control module as well. Please help I am stranded with it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 95600. It was fine as I took it in to have the AC/heater fan replaced . I did have a code P0043 come up but that is it. It has been okay
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My brother in law has and he replaced my fuel pump as well as the control module and starter relay
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a female that has no clue what to do to start this thing. Once it starts then it will start all day. Once it elects to not start then you have to wait until it wants to start again. I have unhooked the battery and left it for an hour and it would not start. Tried jumping it even though it has a new battery....would not start but it is turning over like it will start.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you

hey how are you

I m sorry about the issue you are having with it

1- since you are stranded and maybe no tools to check, the most common problem will be CKP (Crank Shaft Position sensor )

we need fuel & spark to start , so we need to know what you missing fuel or spark or both

2- when you turn the switch from off to on fuel pump should come on for few secs , does it ,you can hear it buzz under the car ?

3- if the fuel pump coming on ,means we missing spark , control module , ignition coil , ckp sensor will cause that , but since fuel pump & module is new I m going to assume the ckp is bad and intermittently not sending a signal to control module and no spark no start at times .

4- if you want the circuit diagram and you want to test and know how , i can send it for you , but that will be the most possible cause based on what you told me on it

5- i sent you a picture showing the ckp sensor on the car

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Part # & labor time for CKP

2008 Nissan-Datsun Truck Pathfinder 2WD V6-4.0L (VQ40DE)

Save Article

Parts Information OEM Part #Price

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Part # 23731EA20C $34.22

Labor Information Skill LevelMfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

B 0.9 labor hour

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It's already been changed. Do you think it should be changed again?

Then you have to check but if it been changed a lot of times the wiring of it could be an issue ,so I would follow the ckp sensor and do a continuity test on it

Was it an oem part or like advance or auto zone ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It was from Autozone

I would check it for signal first . my experience with them , the reason i asked from where ,is the after market one works for a little bit then fail ,so specifically on these pathfinder I like to use the OEM one when it comes to CKP, so if from auto zone it could have went bad so check the signal when it fail on you from starting .

MAF( Mass air flow sensor ) sensor is also another cause, but usual MAF sensor will throw a fault code *& check engine light will come on dash .but that will be next aftr checking my ckp signal

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
This info is for a V6 not a V8

I m sorry , that is the ckp for v8 & location for it , it is different

2008 Nissan-Datsun Truck Pathfinder V8-5.6L (VK56DE)

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Part 23731AL61A $130.65

Labor Information Skill Leve Mfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

B 0.6

this is the parts id label on that last diagram so you know which one is ckp sensor

sorry about that

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat