Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Driver side rear door will not unlock with either the key

Customer Question

Driver side rear door will not unlock with either the key fob or from the master control. I cannot manually unlock the door from the inside. When I do try to unlock the door from either the key fob or master unlock, the rear door attempts to unlock, but fails.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: remember, I cannot manually unlock the door..
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 07 pathfinder
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well of course, otherwise I would not be in contact
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: mainly how bypass or unlock door to determine what is not functioning properly
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question,

This is due to a bad door latch assembly. The door latch assembly has the lock actuator built into it. That is what locks and unlocks the door. The actuators motor is to weak to lock or unlock the door, so the whole door latch assembly will need to be replaced to resolve your issue. The part is around 260 bucks and about 1 1/2 hrs labor to replace.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How to open the door since it is locked and manually it will not unlock?
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

If you can't get the door open, then what you need to do is remove the inside door panel to access the internals of the door. Then on the bottom part of the latch assembly where the inside handle cable goes into it, you need to reach in and move the lever on the latch. That is where it hangs up. Other wise you would need to use a screw drive and hammer to break away the plastic housing to get to the mechanics of the latch to open the door.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
it is possible to remove the door panel with the door closed?
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

Yes it is, but it is tricky