internal88
internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.
63512786

I am writing this very panic stricken, on Monday morning

Customer Question

Hi I am writing this very panic stricken, on Monday morning after I had dropped my daughter off at school, driving back home my 2007 Nissan Xtrail, went completely dead in the middle of the road. I got it towed to the workshop and then the machanic told me afew hours later that he had managed to get it started and drove it inside the workshop. He told me that the reason it struggled to start when it was hot ws beacuse the crank shaft needed replacing. Today around lunch time he told me that I can come collect the car around 5pm, as I was making my way to pick up the car he tells me that the car BLEW a gasket! I thought that one of the signs of a car blowing a gasket would be overheating and I know for a FACT that my car was not overheating and has not given me any problems with the radiator.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: He hasn't said anything to me about the cooling system
JA: What is the model of your '07 Nissan?
Customer: its a 2.0 petrol manual
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it's at the mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: over the passed week before it completely stuck, it would battle to start after I had driven it for a while, I would have to wait about 30mins for it
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

Yes, your fact is correct. Typically a blown head gasket is cause by overheating.

However if the coolant has not been changed for years it could also damaged the head gasket. I'm talking about over 120k miles without changing it.

Were the engine always low in coolant?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The engine has never overheated. I haven't put in any coolant recently but I always make sure that I pour in water
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
If it is the gasket, what signs would there be?

You put water only? You should be putting 50/50 Nissan extended coolant.

If is the head gasket, you should see heavy white smoke from the exhaust and bubbles should be coming up at the radiator or the coolant reserve tank.

Please rate me positive, Thank you.