Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Nissan Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Nissan Diagnostics
18617752

When she tries to start it, it just ticks, This is a first

Customer Question

When she tries to start it, it just ticks
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: This is a first for her - the noise sounds like bottom left below the engine
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2012 Nissan Sentra
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have no idea how to fix it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all we know
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

When you say it just ticks, is this a 1-tick per ignition cycle? Or a rapid, repeating clicking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
rapid repeating clicking, approximately 5
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Great, thanks. The rapid, repeating clicking is a sign of a battery that has less than 12v. Accessories like radio, power windows, ect, don't need a full 12v to operate. Whereas the Starter needs a full, solid 12v to turn the engine over. If you have access to a volt meter, you can confirm this by taking a reading across the battery terminals. Anything less than 12v and the battery may need to be replaced. I would also recommend that the charging system (alternator) be tested to make sure it's not the root of the problem and not re-charging the battery enough. If you do not have access to a volt meter, most big-chain parts stores will test both the battery and the alternator for Free. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?