Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2000 maxima won't start

Customer Question

2000 maxima won't start
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rpms goes up to 2k while cranking, no spark on cyl #1 and #4 spark plugs get soak on gas
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

I'd say its likely that there's a fault with the distributor cap or the leads to cyls 1 & 4

So I'd begin by removing the distributor cap and check inside for cracks and track damage

also check the condition of the rotor arm for cracks and burned contacts, there should also be a little carbon brush in the cap that pushes onto the rotor arm

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has coils
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

OK

thanks for letting me know as 2000 was the transition year from a dizzy to coils

in that case I'd next try spraying some water on the coil packs 1 at a time with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

Also have you tried doing a compression test across all cylinders?

as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok were not on the same channel, first the car won't even start or running.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

OK

as you have no spark then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack with the ignition on but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll check that and I'll get back to you Monday.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

understood

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can we try to resolve this car tomorrow?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to start checking the signal on the camshaft sensor and the two crankshaft sensors, you got some diagrams for the wires to check
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

sorry I don't have that information

I'll opt out to open this up to others

good luck

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you know if you have any codes stored? Also when you turn the key to the ON position, is the Security light on solid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No codes at the moment, the security light flashing with egnition off when I turn the key into ON position the light goes OFF
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Does the engine turn over but not start? or it doesn't even turn over?

Did you change the battery recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Turn over won't start, we unplug the battery after the problem just to avoid not to drain it
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I saw you said that you have spark plugs getting soaked with fuel. Did you get gas recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, the spark plugs get soak on fuel after couple cranks
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

That could be due to bad gas. Has the car been sitting for a while?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3 month after just after the problem start.
Theres no spark on cyl 1 and 4 though
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any codes? Did you happen to have a P0505 code before all this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No codes alt all
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you happen to have a noid light to check injector pulse?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

are you a shop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im a mechanic
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a noid light to check to see if you are getting injector pulse or a constant signal for the injector to stay open?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
give me a min
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I check the 3 fronts that I have access to it, it only light up 1 time and goes off when I keed cranking
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

This sounds like a Ecm issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I unplug the tha camshaft sensor and the noid light flashing while crank but still wont start
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My customer bring me another ECM and we call the locksmith to program a turkey and it still won't start but I never checked the symptoms with that ecm so I put the older ecm back and programmed the key again. Ps the other ecm we try was used same serial numbers though
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

The cam sensor you unplugged, that is the one on the top part of the front timing cover right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

When you unplug that and you get injector pulse, that is a sign that the engine jumped time

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

So that would explain why it's loading up and why you don't have spark or injector pulse. You are going to need to check the mechanical timing. If more than 2 teeth off, you could have valve damage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replace the timing chain before bc it was my first diagnostic bt nothing i redue 2 times more and still same, unless I have a wrong diagram
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Did you disable the fuel system after you did the timing chain work? The reason I am asking is cause if you do timing chain work, and don't, when you go to start it, the chain tensioner is not primed yet and it can jump time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No i just do the timing never disable the fuel system, so im going to remove the timing cover again to check timing, so if u can send me the diagram will b better so i can make sure Im on the same page
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyway to reload the timing tensioner before crank?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You disable the fuel system and turn the engine over like you were trying to start it. but it won't start cause the fuel is disabled. By doing this your allowing the tensioner to build oil pressure

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
U have any imagen for the timing marks?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

I can give that to you later when I get home if you can wait?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is fine
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok. I will share it with you later then.

Talk to you then

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

That is the timing mark locations

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats how I set up the timing the last 3 times bt I will check it out tomorrow again thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

ok.. Talk to you tomorrow.