Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

It runs through first 2 gears but lags really to shift in

Customer Question

It runs through first 2 gears but lags really long to shift in next gear really hard. When I got it, I serviced it because fluid was black like motor oil and it smelled burnt. I pulled pan and it was clean with no shavings
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: I just did it5 miles ago and dealer says it needs a $3000 transmission
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2000 Nissan Xterra
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I just serviced it, changed what 5 qts when I pulled pan and changed filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I questioned when they said valve body was not problem, They automatically said it needed new transmission
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

if the oil was as bad as you say then I'd say its very likely you have 1 or more sticking solenoid valves

now before pulling the sump pan off again I'd say its probably worth replacing the fluid again as you never get all the old stuff out with just one change

so its worth doing another fluid change as the next step

if that doesn't help then consider replacing solenoid valves

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you