Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Will not crank, compresssiom is good it is firing getting

Customer Question

Will not crank
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: compresssiom is good it is firing getting gas
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 5 99niasson forerunner
JA: What year is your Nissan?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced ignition egniter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no could i call him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine turns over but will not crank. code p1300 on engine scanner . changed ignition igniter. one time tried to fire then nothing. no scan numbers after that.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Ok

thanks for the extra info

so if it won't start and you've had the P1300 code ( faulty ignition coil on cyl no.1) then I'd suggest to check that you have spark on all cylinders

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then checkthat there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply(fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

if this is all OK then replace the coil

Expert:  Matt replied 27 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you