Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2011 nissan murano v-6 awd sometimes coming to a

Customer Question

i have a 2011 nissan murano v-6 awd sometimes coming to a yield sign or stop sign, it almost shutsdown or seams to run out of gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no it starts fine and the mpg is fine
JA: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im like a race car driver,,i need a pit crew ,,i can tell what i feel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the vehicle is running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a K&N air filter or cold air intake on the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i dont
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I am assuming this issue started with in this past month or 2 correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep like the last 2 months,,,doesnt do it all the time though...It did it last Tuesday
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I have something I will have you try, but before I suggest it, how much gas is in the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now its full....last tuesday it was at 3/4....i really never let it go below halk tank
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Here is the big question which could answer your question. What grade fuel do you normally put in the car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Regular gas
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Ok. There you have it..

I know this is going to sound odd. But hear me out... Let me explain

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok im listening
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

In September the fuel regulation add more ethanol to Regular and middle grade fuels for the winter seasons. Even if you are not in a winter area, they still do it. They do it across the whole country. Now when you have more ethanol in the fuel, it can upset the air and fuel trim readings. The air and fuel trim readings should be a 50/50 mixture. 50% air and 50% fuel. With the ethanol, it acts like it's getting more air which can cause running issues, stalling and all sorts of issues. So the first thing I always recommend for issues like this before we go crazy and try to figure something out when there is nothing wrong, run this tank out ( BELOW 1/4 tank ) and then fill it with super!! / Premium. The Premium Fuel does not have any ethanol in it cause it has such a high octane content. At the same time, it wasn't till around 2012 or 13 is when they really introduced the ethanol in to the fuel system for the winter months. If you look some models will even say it can run ethanol for that reason. Where older models are affected by it.

So try this and I will keep this question open to wait for your result. Run that tank out and then fill up with Premium. Then I would say after you run that tank to about 1/2 tank or less it should act better. But by the second full tank of premium, the problem should be just about gone!

Do you think you can try that for me and I will keep this question open till you can get back to me and let me know the outcome?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so after 2 tanks of premium go back to reg?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I normally recommend to stick with the Premium fuel through out the winter months. Then around April when they take away the ethanol, you can go back to regular.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

But if you find the problem goes away after switching to premium, you know your issue is fuel related and it's up to you if you want to use Regular.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its strange though never had this problem last year...hmm ok i will try it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

That is why I am going to keep this question open. I would like you to simply try that first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok gotcha...Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome, I would like to hear back for the update when you have tried this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok...be about 2 weeks...my weekly work commute is 240 miles and i get like 440 on a tank
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

No problem.. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Thanks and Good Night
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Good night