Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I know both (and there are only 2) camshaft position sensors

Customer Question

I know both (and there are only 2) camshaft position sensors are the same part #. How many crankshaft sensors and are they the same part # as the camshaft position sensors?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: runs fine in 1st gear and cranks right up, at 30mph it doesn't matter how far you press the pedal in, it wont gain speed.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 03, se, 4wd, 3.5ltr
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just added some lucas oil treatment, but codes arep0011,p0021,p0420,p0430/p0491
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this a Pathfinder?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

The truck has one crank sensor.

As for the P0011 and P0021, Lets start with those two codes. Did you check the oil level?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oil level ok
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Did you replace the cam sensors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm a 100% disabled Veteran. I just bought the vehicle. The oil level is ok. When I get to 30 mph it wont gain any speed but will rev. up to 4k rpm.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

First off, I would like to thank you for your service!! 100% respect for you!!!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

So thank you for that!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have not replaced cam sensors. Going to have vehicle engine flushed then replace filter and with Castrol 10w40 oil.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Second as for your truck. The two codes P0420 and P0430 sounds like you have two bad catt converters which could be restricting exhaust flow causing the lack of power. So that needs to be checked.

I would also check to see if the Cam Sensors are after market. If after market they can cause the P0011 and P0021 code. If not the Cam sensors, then you would have something going on with the intake timing operation. Meaning possibly jump time or something.

That is what you are looking at I am afraid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dealer put brand new OEM exhaust on it, including exhaust manifold to chrome tips on back.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it jumped timeing it would run bad all the time, not just when it gets warmed up. THink again Mr. Expert.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

That may not have included the Catt Converters. So you may want to check into that. If they did, then it was not from a Nissan dealer and they are after market Catts causing the Catt Codes.

At the same time, the intake timing codes could certainly be off a tooth or two. Which would not run bad one tooth off, you would just have a lack of power. Which could be close to what you are experiencing. But that could be determined by monitoring the intake timing operation with a scanner at idle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want refund
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I will put you in for a refund.

Thanks Jay!