Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The vehicle immobilizer system is on and it wont let me turn

Customer Question

The vehicle immobilizer system is on and it wont let me turn the key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel is lock but I have tried turning the wheel to unlock the ignition but its not working
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2007 Sentra
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried disconnecting the battery to try to reset the computer but still no luck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I had a bad battery and while changing it I think there was an electrical short but the fuses seem good
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.

The immobilizer will not prevent the key from turning. It only cuts the signal to the fuel injectors and coils to prevent it from starting

It may be a simple as the ignition cylinder tumblers sticking. With the key in the ignition, GENTLY tap around the key cylinder with a hammer as you try to turn the key. For sticking tumblers this works like a charm.

If it doesnt work let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Didn't work it still wont let me turn the key
Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.

Hi

Ok, is the vehicle on an incline or have the wheels turned to either side?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No its not and the steering wheel is locked but I was trying to turn it to try and unlock the switch but no luck
Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

I will need to opt out and see if another expert can help. I cannot open my software to pull up the diagrams for the steering lock solenoid and key interlock system.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Did you try to jump start the car to see if that would allow the ignition to turn?