mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano. Lst year the Fuel gauge sensor

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano. Lst year the Fuel gauge sensor when out. There are 2 of them. They replaced the easy cheap one, wasn't it. Replaced the other one, and the seal leaked and dumped 40 gallons of gasoline at the gas station while it was filling. Mechanic put in a new seal, but still having weird fuel gauge problems. Took it somewhere else. They found that the wire harness (going to the fuel pump?) was crimped when all was reinstalled under the back seat. So second mechanic freed it, and all seemed ok. The a couple months ago, we started to get a "momentary clunk" when driving, and thought it was some transmission problem, and getting worse - like every 10-30 seconds. I filled up with gas, and it immediately stopped. No clunk. Refilled gas tank today, to keep it above 1/2, and the clunking immediately started again, but not as bad. My thought is that this has nothing to do with transmission, but that the "bruised" wire harness is sending signals to momentarily shutoff fuel pump, and that is the "clunck" source - momentary no gas. Are you familiar with this. Could I be misdiagnosing? Anything to be able to verify? we have 197k miles, and don't want to dump a car on somebody if we can fix inexpensively, and are assured it is not a transmission.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.

it sounds like something was left loose underneath. you wouldnt have herd the fuel pump shutting off. and it did and the engine died then started then you would be having bad engine mounts that are jerking. but it sounds as if the clunking is in the rear. i would have the underside inspected by the second mechanic to verify everything is secure under the vehicle.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The clunking sounds like where the engine says hi to the transmission. Like a momentary disengagement when the engine dies for lack of fuel rnjection, and then re-engages aa the engine. Your current answer is not real helpful

i was more so looking for more insight aswell. is this an awd vehicle?