Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I am having a couple minor issues with my 2008 Pathfinder SE

Customer Question

I am having a couple minor issues with my 2008 Pathfinder SE 95000 m. First is the heating issue once the engine is warm and we have the heat on full blast and the engine is warm. ( the car has heat in dashboard separate controls in second row seating and controls upfront to control third row seating) The second and third row seating is on full blow and turned to hottest heat setting and will only blow cold air out of the vents whether the roof vents or floor. And the dashboard heat will blow warm air but if you start it in the morning at idle it will not blow real warm out of the dash either an it can be running a half hour. But if i start it up let engine warm up it blows cold while at idle but when it gets to 2000 rpm it blows warm and hot air at 3000 rpms that's with the dash heat set on 90 degrees. additionally I can be driving an hour so engine is at normal operating temperature and say i stop at a fast food drive thru in a line after a min or two at idle the heat isn't hot anymore set on 90 and set another min or two and the dash blows cold again. but as soon as i start driving over 2000 rpms it gets warm out of dash vents. second and third rows is always cold air no matter what. Can you help me out any with ideas on this issue please?? and explain a little about the heating cooling system in this suv ive only ever had sedans before an reg cab trucks this is my first with third row seating. Does this suv have three heater cores since its zone controlled with three individual controls. I can tell you when i had it serviced and gone over (ive just bought it owned about months) the tech went over it an said it had brand new air conditioning lines going to the back) that's all i know. It only has 95000 miles and has been expertly kept before me. f
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: and good morning!!
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: Yes checked coolant yesterday took radiator cap off it was full and coolant was neon green and looked excellent. However I tried to check the reservoir but the white plastic is hard to see through to see the level so i couldn't tell if it was full. But i assume that's just an overflow tank but radiator was clear full. Im gonna cut a stick of wood a half inch by half inch to check the overflow tank to messure its level today. but even if overflow was low that wouldn't cause my issue would it?
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It depends on what the problem is if i fix it myself i usually do all my mechanical work myself brakes ect. but if its suspension or very technical i take to mechanics. It just depends kind of. And so far im not sure what could be wrong as im not familiar with this heating system its not simply just a thermostat heater core and coolant to produce heat as in a simple sedan. it has those three zones individually controlled so does that mean there is more than one heater core? Right inside the back latch is a blower so it there a heater core inside?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about as thorough as i can be until i can get some ideas on things to check or test and see what results of said tests are. Thank you for helping me!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

I sent you the cooling system components .

1- the water pump handles the flow of the coolant . would you say if you rev it up sitting gat idle the heat will increase to warmer ?

2- do you hear any noises coming from passenger side behind glove boxes

3- Firs thing I would do a coolant drain ,flush & heater core reverse flush

4- If coolant if full and no leaks and heater core is flowing good next i got to the water pump being weak at idle and when you move or rev up it will flow quicker since we going faster on the rpm .

please let me know

Thank You *****

you mentioned that you could not tell if coolant is full, so we have to b sure on that before replacing any parts

please let me know

Thank You *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Chad Farhat! Good morning to you! Thank you for the very quick and very expert response!!! You got really technical which was exactly what I was looking for awesome! To answer your follow up questions..... Yes if at idle say at a fast food place in line idling for ten mins. the heat in the dashboard quickly goes cold however I have put it in neutral and gave it gas took it to 2000 rpms it started blowing out semi warm air. I then took it to 3000 rpms for say twenty to thirty seconds and it was back to pretty warm air by the end on the twenty to thirty seconds. then if I go back to being stopped at idle for another few mins. it goes back to blowing cold air again. 2.... there is no unusual sound coming from behind the glove boxes on passenger side. It is really pretty quiet in the interior no unusual noise. I know that's where the cabin air filter are and intend on replacing it today. along with outside filter. And not sure if there is a filter in the back right inside the latch on left or not. if I have third row heat or air turned on I hear it sucking in air so assume theres a filter there too. So all filters will be replaced today. But all blowers dash, second and third row really push out a good amount of air on high. I will take your advice and perform a coolant system flush and heater core reverse flush today also. Could it possibly be the thermostat?? the temperature guage on dashboard after running awhile over 30 mins. is under half way a little over a 1/3 I'd say 2/5ths maybe between hot and cold. my other vehicles ive had used to operate at least half way on the gauge some vehicles would run up to 3/4 of the temperature gauge but this is my first Nissan ive owned so maybe its normal for this vehicles normal operating temperature to run about 2/5ths of guage a good 1/5th below half on the gauge. So could it possibly be a partially sticking thermostat????? or even stuck open all the way???? Should I try the water pump first if flushes and fill down work or the thermostat???? And I assume there is a separate issue with the second and third row heat since it wont blow any hot air at all ever. Ill check the attachments you sent to see if theres separate heating cores for second and third row individual controls. Lastly I just seen you comment about the cooling fluid being full. the radiator itself is full to top and good looking. however I did have trouble seeing the coolant in the overflow reservoir but its only an overflow right as long as the actual radiator itself is completely full which it is then it should be ok. I will make sure the overflow is properly filled right now as im awaiting your response. Thank you for your tech help Sorry this is so long im trying to be as precise as I can

You are very welcome

If at any point during our conversation you like to speak to me on the phone ,feel free to ask me or you can request it on the screen at your convenience and I will call you right away.

1- does the car over heats by itself if it sat on idle or you keep it on idle for 10 minutes and the it want over heats and the fan kick in ,mean they are on or at leaks cycling on & off

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car never over heats at all. the temperature gauge on dash the hottest it ever ever goes is 2/5ths between cold an hot, under half way from hot. that's its normal operating temperature. the radiator and overflow reservoir are both full I have it running now for twenty mins on idle and the temp gauge on dash is 2/5ths off cold just under half way its normal operating temperature, however the air coming out the vents is outside air temp its like 45 degrees F here. I got in it and gave it gas to 3000 rpms for thirty seconds and it started throwing out semi warm air but not 90 like its set on probable 55 or 60 degrees. So I took it to 4000 to 4500 rpm for fourty five seconds probably and it started blowing out pretty warm air at least 80 degrees then I sat in it idle for two mins and it was back to throwing out ice cold air. I let it idle for a few mins. and took the cap off the overflow reservoir (white tank that holds the extra) and when I took that cap off it started gurgling up air bubbles. not an extreme amount here an there air bubbles coming up so I left cap off and let it idle and as many air bubbles come up as possible. But no change in the heating issue. I shut it off an am going to let It completely cool down then take the radiator cap off and start it up and see if the radiator lets any air bubbles out incase there is air in the system. Since the overflow tank was letting out some air bubbles. Could it be the thermostat???? Should I put a new thermostat In it???? Maybe one that runs a little warmer as I know from ones I replaced before you can buy one that runs a little warmer????????? Thanks
sir I would change thermostat and drain ,refill ,back flush and retry again .
They make a bleeder tool like yellow funnel you. It from local parts store ,That help in bleeding around $14Try that and let me know
I m online daily from 10 am till late
Please don't forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated
Please remember rating me want end conversation between us ,you can always come back here and ask me any follow up questions you may have on this issue
Thank you *****