Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

ABS light is coming on when apply the brakes, ABS, antiskid

Customer Question

ABS light is coming on when apply the brakes
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: ABS , antiskid and vdc
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2011 Navara vx9 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have clean the speed sensor, also check the resitance and seems to be fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How is the brake fluid level? Does the ABS light only come on when braking? Or does it only come on after you start to drive over 20 mph?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I start the vechile its of, as soon as drive and brace the ABS, VDC and traction control lights up. We have clean the speed sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

If the light is off until you start to drive that is a indication of a ABS sensor. It will require a scanner to monitor sensors since you have one on each wheel to determine which sensor is turning the light on.

If you have a Engine Speed Signal code in the ABS system, that is a sign of a bad Cam sensor developing. When it comes to electrical parts and sensors, I always recommend you use parts from the dealer. After market electrical parts never work right.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we had a fault dianostic machine on and it show the left front sensor. it clears the fault and the light stay of if you drive as but when you brake the light light up
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

When it comes to the ABS system, if you had a code for the left front sensor, I would start with replacing that sensor.

There is really no tricks to the ABS system. It requires a scanner to isolate issues so they can be resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we tested the resistance on the sensor and it seems to be fine. could it be that the tone ring is loose or damange and that why its only lights up when applying brakes
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

You can't always go by the resistance. It could be a toner ring, but not likely. I would recommend you start with a sensor first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It at one stage also give a code for ABS actuator. but cleared and did not give that again
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Oh.. well that could indicate it could be a issue with the abs actuator internally. The Actuator is also the ABS control unit. So that could explain some abnormal ABS lights and operation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the actuator and is it possible to replace. And do you have idea what it cost?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when we ot the vechile it was doing the same and show the right frons sensor, we clean and fault was cone for few months the is start and show left rear, gone for few weeks and now left front,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replace the suspension with TJM and also the standard tyre with 285x70x17. Could this have ant effect
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

the actuator is normally down on the left front of the truck under the hood. Tire sizes if changed to much could cause premature abs issues or false readings.