peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Had question I have a 2009 Nissan altima 2.5, It over heated

Customer Question

Had question I have a 2009 Nissan altima 2.5
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It over heated and now will not turn on
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Is there some type of sensor that puts it in safe mode so the car does not turn on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We ran diagnostic says engover temp
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We ran diagnostic comes back engoverheat code p1217 is there a sensor that puts it in safe mode so the engine shuts off
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tried to clear out the code and see if it starts then at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No we have not tried to clear codes but wanted to know is there a sensor that puts car in safe mode to prevent it from over heating and shuts off car if so what is it called

There isnt a sensor unless the engine coolant temp sensor fails and sends a false signal of over temp this could cause it but it is the engine computer itself that puts the engine into a fail safe mode with an over heat and can shut down the engine until the code is either cleared out or the over heat condition has been resolved.If your code does not clear out and allow starting or does clear out but it doesnt start it would be the engine coolant temp sensor that can cause this issue needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete