Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2011 Nissan Maxima brake lights won't turn off, Fluid

Customer Question

My 2011 Nissan Maxima brake lights won't turn off
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Fluid level is fine. I'm not sure when it was last changed
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I don't have a choice to fix it or my battery will be dead. I looked it up everyone is saying it's the brake light sensor on the brake pedal. So I'm trying to figure out if it's the switch or gust the rubber piece it pushes on to shut off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is normally caused by either a bad brake switch, or sometimes there is a rubber grommet that contacts the switch part of the brake switch that pops out or deteriorates that keeps the switch pin out all the time which will keep the brake lights on.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm handy
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

The Brake switch is down by the brake pedal. There are two switches. One is the Cruise Control Cancel Switch, the other is the Brake switch. The brake switch is normally the one on top. It's a twist lock type of brake switch. You unplug the sensor, then turn it counter clockwise to unlock it so it can be removed. Then you can inspect it and check it's contact points. But if everything is there, then you have a bad brake switch. The part is around 30 bucks or so.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!