Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 07 Frontier with a rebuilt transmission and new

Customer Question

I have a 07 Frontier with a rebuilt transmission and new radiator due to the coolant/trans fluid issue. I had a rebuilt transmission installed by a reputable shop. Three days after getting truck back, and driving it without a problem, it would not start. Put in new battery. would not start but hum at engine area. Towed to repair shop that diagnosed probable as "communication signal with the starter." Towed to a Nissan dealer Oct 20th. On afternoon of 21st got service department who told me it need a new transmission. This is the same dealer that programed the valve body and returned truck to the transmission repair shop. I told the service intake person about "communication issue". Do not think it has been diagnosed by dealer. I am going to visit the dealer service dept today. What do I now tell them?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: Are you online?
JA: No. I'm the Nissan Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: The fluid was replaced at the time of the rebuild. It is not leaking fluid and the truck shifts and operates normally.
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The truck is a dealer and I am trying to have it diagnosed for a electrical/starter/ecm issue. The dealer told me they only install new transmissions after they already had programed the valve body on the rebuild and returned it to the transmission shop where I got the truck back.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: OK?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey

the valve body can not be programmed i m assumig the TCM (trans module) was reprigramed .

I dont see how the trans needs rebuild ,if shift good and no leaks,issue here should be the TCM module and wiring harness between it and the valve body solenoids

I would take it and get another opinion on it,it does not sound right what they are teling you

If at any point during our conversation you like to speak to me on the phone ,feel free to ask me or you can request it on the screen at your convenience and I will call you right away.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat