Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I was trying to find the average cost to replace the

Customer Question

I was trying to find the average cost to replace the catalytic converter on my 2003 xterra
JA: Have the O2 sensors been scanned?
Customer: no I have the Service Engine Soon light on. I went to Midas and they said that code read for a bad CC. Should I get teh O2 sensor checked, first?
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I am not fixing it my self. All I have done is take it to Midas to read the SES code. They said the code said I need the Catalytic Converter changed. But, should I get the 02 sensor checked first?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hmm...I think that's it. I have an inspection coming up in Nov, so need to do it soon.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you happen to have the actual "p-code" that pointed towards a failing converter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unfortunately, no.
How do I obtain that code?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Usually the p-code is put on the paperwork from Midas. If not, you can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). I was asking for the p-code, because with this, I can better determine if the converter is the actual problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hmm. Good point. I wil be able to ge the P-Code in about an hour. Can I send it to you then?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely! Just reply back to this thread like you have been... and we can pick it right back up from here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good. Thank you, Ron.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. Talk to you soon!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if how you made out? Just a reminder that this thread is still here if you still need my help! Feel free to ask!