Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My nissan armada it cranks but it won't start, there is no

Customer Question

my nissan armada it cranks but it won't start, there is no juice in the spark plugs, not a check engine light on
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.

You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My car is ok on all that uou just mentined, pum is ok, I eve put gasoline ln the intake, can't use scanner cuz there is not comunication yo the computer, also I have not a engine light on, I think maybe is the transmision module issue.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

OK so you have a spark, you can hear the injectors clicking, and there's fuel pressure at the rail?

in which case if thats all true then it must be a loss of compression or faulty cam timing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I m not getting no where with your answer, everything you had told me alredy did, Im a mechanic as well, not certigied but I can eazely pull an enhine from a car and have rebuil it, Im disappointned now you want me to call you for an xt 26 bucks. no thanks. Im requesting my money back. whats the next step. I don't want a free trial eather. thats sound like An other BS. just yo get my money.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

sorry you feel that way

I'll opt out and allow someone else to provide an answer

best of luck

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you try swapping the Ecm relay in the IPDM with the fog light relay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not yet but I will do that thanks, Jay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

That is the relays location. I made the Ecm relay Green so you know which one is the Ecm relay

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning Jay, is the diagram picture appies to my Nissa Armada?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You may have the updated one. If your IPDM is black cased ( the image is white) then you have the updated IPDM and disregard my suggesting and return back and let me know..