Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I own a 2005 Altima. My problem is electrical, being that

Customer Question

I own a 2005 Altima. My problem is electrical, being that sometimes my windows, seat and door lock work and other times it doesn't.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes it is. Had battery and alternator check and they are ok
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to repair myself if I can. Haven't done nothing to it other than have battery and alternator checked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does it seem to act up at night time? or when head lights are turned on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Acts up anytime of day. For instance I just took the car to Auto Zone to have battery and alternator checked. Nothing was working. After the components were checked, they all worked. About two minutes later before I got to the main road they stop working.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a Volt Meter to do a basic check?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do, Jay problem came up and I have to leave the house. Is there some way to continue this tomorrow?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Sure we can tomorrow evening. i am busy during the day. Is that ok? Figure around 6 or 7 EST?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok until then, Thank you very much.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome, talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jay, I'm back if you are not busy.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

I am here..

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

lets get the volt meter out, open the hood and connect it to the battery. Then start the car and let me know what the voltage readings are.

Then turn the head lights on, AC on and rear defroster. Then tell me what the voltage is again..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's just not my day as my son took the care to work and won't be home till 10:30 tonight. But I will have the car available tomorrow. So sorry.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will do the test tomorrow before I contact you,if that's ok.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

That is fine. I will be online again tomorrow evening. I will talk to you then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jay here are the voltage numbers you asked for: Battery-car just sitting there 12.83v Car running nothing on- 14.00v
car running with A/C, Lights & defroster on- 13.98v
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Ok, When the windows and locks and so on are not working, how long would you stay they stop working for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometimes minutes and other times a day. Example. I left to the market and everything was working, by the time iI got to the end of the block nothing worked.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Well all of the items you are describing that stop working are all controlled by the Body Control Module. It's not a fuse issue.

I was thinking it could be a Alternator intermittently not charging which can also cause this, but you would need to capture it to verify that. But if you can drive around the block and have voltage readings like what you stated and the locks or window and power seats stop working, I would monitor signals out of the Body control module. But if this control module has to be replaced, this is not something I would recommend you try. Cause when you replace it, you need to save it's current configuration and write it to the New Bcm after you program all your keys to the car. So the BCM is what I would focus on if the alternator is charging properly.

do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I am thinking. Any idea at the price for that module?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

That module is around 300 to 400 bucks.