Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2002 maxima that has good spark is gettting fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2002 maxima that has good spark is gettting fuel after it starts it will idle down and die if I try to use accelerator pedal becomes very boggy and then dies
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Well Its not my vehicle looking at it for a friend so not sure about the gas hog I do know that it did get progressively worse running to the point where it would not start at all but know I got it too start which seems normal idles up after starting then right down to death
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Iam looking at it for a coworker and so far had original spark plugs changed those valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals, both intake and plenum gasketsand that's what finally got it to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also changed knock sensor as he was getting a code for that
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it sounds to me like you have low fuel pressure. Changing the gaskets has nothing to do with the way the vehicle runs so that is just a coincidence that it started after. So now that you have good spark plugs and you know that spark is good, you need to check fuel pressure. It can have fuel and still not be getting enough or have enough pressure to run totally. If you have good fuel pressure, the next thing I would check for is any vacuum leaks. Listen for a hissing noise anywhere around the engine while it is running, and you can try spraying carb clean around the vacuum lines and intake gaskets to see if it changes the way it runs at all, this will tell you there is a leak there. The last thing I would suggest is change the PCV valve. Let me know how this works out.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating me 3 stars or higher or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i know the gaskets had nothing to do with it starting u asked me what all i did to the car.so if my fuel pressure is low would car not start if i sprayed carb. cleaner or starting fluid in it. which it dosent. iam also well aware of finding vacuum leaks with carb. cleaner but if u read what my problem is the car dosent run long enough to even get out of drivers seat to find a vacuum leak. also just replaced most of the top half gaskets meaning been over 90 percent vacuum lines that it will not be the problem it is something else because in my experiance usually the car will still start and run if it has a vacuum leak
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you try unplugging the MAF sensor yet to see if the car will start and idle on it's own?

Let me know.