Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I recently had installed an aftermarket Catilytic Converter

Customer Question

Greetings, I recently had installed an aftermarket Catilytic Converter (California legal) in my '96 Nissan Sentra at a Star Smog Certification station. This Sentra has the GA 16DE OHC engine. I have been driving it for nearly a week in combined freeway and local road driving to acquaint the computer with the new CAT and then get the car smog certified at this Star station. So far no luck. So what is the specific procedure to get the computer to accept and monitor this new CAT so I can get the car passed and registered, I am overdue now. Thanks ahead for your help, gordon
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It is an automatic, 190,000 miles on the clock.
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was told in a general way by this shop to just drive the car in combined freeway and local road driving for several days and within 100-150 miles the CAT would be logged in, they said. They installed the CAT. I keep bringing it back to them and so far it has not happened, nearly a week now about 300 miles total.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, except the CAT I bought is a Dorman #673-611 which both the Star shop and the vendor assured me would be legal for California.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- is there a check engine light on at this time ? & what are the fault codes

2- 50 miles of driving is all it needs to complete the relearn ,so you are way passed that , there is a problem

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, no check engine line has come on....I was told to look for that, not yet. I don't know the fault codes, that has been done at the Quality Tune UP Smog Star station here in San Leandro. From looking over their shoulder the computer is not completely cycled and in not indicating the status of the new CAT.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, can you email me what you think I should do? thanks, g.

i would like to see the fuel trims , the long term & short term readings at idle .

and the oxygen sensor reading at idle ?

can you get those readings ,

if the cat is not finishing we have a problem , if the B1S2 is not reading or stuck at 0.9 volts or 0.1 volts , that should tell you cat is not working

i know they guaranteed it but if that is the case , that will the problem ,maybe its defective new one.

You can download the post here or copy and paste it .

i can not email ,i m sorry ,

but this post will stay open for you after you rate me for you to come back and ask me or see what is written at anytime ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** call the shop with this information, probably take the car down there this afternoon.....You know I originally googled "Nissan Sentra drive monitor " and for a short while a page came up with specific instructions about a drive procedure for excitng the computer. I was busy reading that when the Just Answer page came up and I thought it part of the page I was reading. Now that page has disappeared since Just Answer took over, and I am going to terminate this and go back and find that page. Now, I have given you my credit card info, and I suppose I have to pay you something but it did say it would only be $5.00 for the initial question which I stated. Then up to $20 or an additional $20 as the session went on, it was not clear to me. I was simply trying to get the drive procedure info only, which it seemed to me is freely available as I saw it first. This feels like a bit like I've been hijacked into this session, so I am going to terminate it. If I see there is a charge for more $$$ on my card, I will contest it through the credit car company. Thank you and good day, gordon

interesting you did not mention any of that only after you got your answer

good luck to you

i don't handle that part , i will send it to customer care for you ,

good luck to you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did state my original question, one that I expected to get an answer for since it was about the drive monitor procedure, here it is again: So what is the specific procedure to get the computer to accept and monitor this new CAT so I can get the car passed and registered......As I said I was reading a page which seemed to have that 1,2,3 info on it when Just Answer appeared and disappeared, g.