Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2010 Nissan Armada with 63K miles will intermittently

Customer Question

My 2010 Nissan Armada with 63K miles will intermittently refuse to start. Battery was checked today and is good. It will just click once when the key is turned, but the engine doesn't engage or crank. Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it takes 4-5 tries or a couple of minutes. Sometimes it leaves us stranded for an hour and then finally decides it is ready to fire up. It just cant be counted on and has done this for us several times since we bought it a couple of months back.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. I will need to ask you questions to get a better picture so I can better help you. Where do you hear the clicking come from ? The starter itself or the starter relay? turn the dome lamp on and try to start and when it just clicks does the light stay bright or go dim/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hard to say. I just went out and turned it over about 15 times with no issue. It is really quite unpredictable. The lights do dim slightly when it turnes over. I hear a click and can feel the click of I put my hand on the fuse box inside the glove compartment area

that could be a sticking starter relay. electrical problems are sometimes a trial and error thing if they are intermittent. In your case I would replace the relay first it's cheaper and easier to do. I'll see if I can find some info for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's what I had originally planned on doing but I couldn't find where exactly the relay was or even if there was one because we autozone couldn't find that there was a relay to replace

I found a link that could help yor problem let me know how it goes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUCk5x3NTs

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately mine is a newer model than the one in the link. The relays are not set up like that.

I know but still same issue when it clicks can you put you hand on the relay in pic #1 then you can swap one that's the same to test it far easier to do then going to the starter rt now. unless you have a starter draw tester

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no idea which of those is a starter relay. There is an ignition switch relay below those but I am assuming the starter relay is different and there is no diagram I can find

The relay is in the IPDM box which is in the engine compartment passenger side rear. Here's 2 pics of the IPDM and the relay. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is not how my box is laid out, that is the problem. This diagram is not the same as what is found in my 2010 Nissan Armada Platinum

Is there not a fuse block in the engine compartment one should have a relay marked on the cover.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What would the proper relay be marked. None of them spell out starter relay of course

do you have an owners manual?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Already looked through it and it didn't indicate that or have an adequate diagram

this may help locate it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't even locate that. Parts stores don't show an ECM relay for that vehicle

well I.m stumped as you can see my info shows one ? I will have to opt out so another expert may help you better I wish you all the best and hope you solve your problem.

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you are getting a single click, that is due to a starter issue. It could be intermittent, but Single Clicks is a bad starter. So you are going to want to make arrangements to replace the starter to resolve your issue. The starter is located under the intake manifold and is around 3 hours labor to replace.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are there no relays that can go bad that I could check first? Doesn't make sense to have the starter out at such low mileage. And occasionally there is no click
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

The relays never go. They are built into the IPDM. That is a control unit under the hood. 99.9% of the time, single click is the solenoid on the starter clicking, but the armature of the starter does not engage.

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Rapid clicking is a weak battery. A single click is a starter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The clicking I hear comes from the IPDM and fuse box. I can feel it clicking in the box. It must just be the power being turned on
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

I highly doubt the issue is the IPDM. But if it's not the starter, then it would be either the IPDM or a wiring issue. The way you would verify is measuring voltage out of the IPDM when the key is in the Crank Position.

Do you have a volt meter? How handy are you?

Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Hello?