Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2001 4x4 pathfinder, excessive noise and vibration of around

Customer Question

2001 4x4 pathfinder , excessive noise and vibration of around 50mph, mechanic has replaced transfer case( old one had play),replaced one u-joint in front drive shaft, excessive noise still there. Mechanic thinks it could be front differential, This is a mechanic that specializes in drivetrain problems
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no ..specialty mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: front driveshaft on order, will replace that before replacing replacing front diffeerential nosie goes away when front driveshaft is removed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this truck a Automatic or Stick? Also do you have the vehicle, I would like to do a test on it to see if we can isolate the noise for you.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is automatic 4x4 auto, yes I have the car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

at what speeds do you hear this noise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, need to do by messaging
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

no problem just ignore that phone call message. We can continue here.

What speeds do you hear this noise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
noise starts at 50, and is excessive, only goes away , if you remove front driveshaft
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Oh, that is good info. That would point to the front differential. By taking that drive shaft out, you are eliminating that rotation to the front diff. So you will need to have the front diff checked for your noise.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could it be the front drive shaft
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Not likely, but you can send that out to be balanced to find out. That would cause a vibration. Not a noise

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

a front diff can cause both, noises and vibration

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
maybe I wasn't clear, ,it is excessive noise and vibration, that starts at 45-50, and doesn't go away, it feels just like very loud road noise
when up on lift, you can feel vibration in transfercase , front differential, and transmission
noise goes away when front driveshaft is removed
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

I understood what you said. That is a front diff issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

front drive shaft as I said, could cause a vibration, but not a noise. If your getting a noise and vibration, that is a internal issue in the front diff

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was thinking, could I drive without the front driveshaft semi-permanently, and just put it on during the winter months when I need four-wheel-drive
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

You would not be the first person who has taken the drive shaft out and driven the truck. So you can certainly do that.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you were telling me, it is safe to remove the front driveshaft on a 2001 Pathfinder, and it won'tdamage the transfer case,?or any of the four-wheel-drive components?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you can remove the front drive shaft and not do any damage. Just don't put the truck into 4x4..