Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

I got off work and it started really rough, with bad gas

Customer Question

I got off work and it started really rough, with bad gas smell... it's had accelleration problems and the mileage is down... i got half way home and it stalled, then when it restarted it ran fine. I started it up today and it ran smoothly while i was looking at engine,,, below cylynders, I think its the tranny, there was a waterlike liquid, i couldn't tell if it was just water- its been raining a lot, but suspect it might have been gas, but it seemed a little thicker... then the car stalled again and i couldn't start it... I am suspecting the fuel pump...
JA: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?
Customer: thanks for being online... It was back in march... but I know i am at 130k miles now... and its a 1998...
JA: What year is your March?
Customer: just this year... i try and get it serviced regularly...
JA: Are you fixing your March yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've been looking up things to try to get a diagnosis... i hadn't decided if i would take it in or call my mechanic friend who lives several towns over.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of./...i really just started looking... i am used to working on american cars and VW's but not yet had to work on my Nissan...
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 5 months ago.

Most likely the issue is leaking fuel line or injector, the fuel line or injector is reducing the fuel pressure causing the engine to run rough and stall out. These rate my service, I will continue to answer your questions, until you're completely satisfied with my answers.

Please rate my service, LOL

Please rate my service, I will continue to answer your questions until you are completely satisfied with my answers.