david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

995 Nissan 200sx se-r 2.0L. Replaced head and gaskets, now

995 Nissan 200sx se-r 2.0L. Replaced head and gaskets, now won't start. I have spark and fuel. need to know what to check next until it's running.

Hi Im David....next thing to do is check the timing mark and make sure they are on their marks at tdc.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

It is now. It was about 3 teeth off. Still wont start.

are you sure you're arent 180 out?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The crank shaft shows TDC, The rotor on the distributor is pointing at #1 Cylinder, the camshaft markings are at the correct positions, about 10 and 1, the number one piston is all the way up.

ok. are you reading rpms while cranking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No rpms

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

K. I'll order that. Hopefully it'll start afterwards

it should

any update?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No. The part is not here yet. You can close this out and I'll get in contact with you later.

I can only close it after you accept the answer and leave a rating. thanks. hope i was able to lead you in the right direction. have a great evening.

thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The crank sensor did not change anything

did you replace the crank sensor with onr from the dealer ot an aftermarket one? also did you inspect the wiring for the crank sensor at the connector and follow the wiring and inspect for damage?

you must use an oem dealer part for this problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

That would've been good to know before i bought the aftermarket one. Haha

the question wasnt brought up as to what type sensor to by. my mistake. anyways please check the connector and the wiring for the sensor too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Got a crank sensor from the dealer, $97! It started to start, RPM gauge jumped then it died again. now it is doing what it did before, cranking and no RPM gauge movement.

Seems to be flooding. Took plugs out, fuel was in cylinders, cleaned plugs, tried to start, tach jumped then nothing except cranking again.

ok, we need to figure this out. let me get home and i will look into this thoroughly

The crankshaft position sensor (OBD) is located on the transmission housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the flywheel or drive plate. It detects
the fluctuation of the engine revolution. The sensor consists of a permanent magnet, core and coil. When the engine is running, the high and low
parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change.
The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change.
Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes.
The ECM receives the voltage signal and detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution.
This sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It is used only for the on board diagnosis

I also want you to test the cam sensor

Camshaft Position Sensor

1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Check voltage between ECM terminals (40), (41) and engine ground.

Terminal (40) (or (44)) and engine around
Terminal (41) (or (44)) and engine ground
If NG, replace distributor assembly with camshaft-position sensor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Haha, if it started I wouldn't be on here, lol. Any other way to test the camshaft position sensor?

oh crap. thats right. dont worry about the cam sensor, just do a continuity test of the crank sensor wiring.