peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Been trying to diagnose the Automatic (and manual) Driver

Customer Question

Been trying to diagnose the Automatic (and manual) Driver Positioner functions on an '04 Murano. This may have been caused by my arc welding the Driver Seat bracket while still in vehicle (smooth move, but not sure). All seat functions still work manually except for the pedal control (also part of the Auto Driver Pos). No lights or function of the Set/1/2 push buttons on the driver door, nor do the manual operations of the mirrors or pedal work, automatic or manual. Plus, the exit/entering vehicle auto seat movement doesn't work (as offered through the NAV display). Everything else on the vehicle seems to be fine.So far, I went through diagnostics for the Automatic Driver Positioner Controller and I have proper status of the Park CVT Detent at the Seat Module connector M57, and Ignition key present voltage at the Ign switch plug (didn't check at the BCM yet - not sure exactly where it is). Assuming the harness is OK to the BCM, the book said to replace the Auto Drive module. Seemed to make sense, but no luck (unless I replaced with a defective one by chance, but let's assume that's OK too).So today I ordered a used Seat Module (also on eBay for cheap) and thinking it talks through the CAN to the Auto Driver Positioner to make sure nothing moves while your not in Park. (That's a guess, otherwise why did I have to check the CTV Detent at the seat module?)If the Seat Module replacement doesn't fix it, I'm moving on to the BCM. I think the Pedal Control Module is powered from the BCM but haven't checked that (thinking it's maybe both bad mirrors AND a faulty pedal controller). This double fault seems less likely, but these Mirrors had many problems under warrantee and were changed a couple times. I'm not positive these problems occurred after the welding, but my wife thinks it did (and she's usually correct).I do have a basic CAN diagnostic tool and wondering if I could use that to verify if I can talk to the BCM or Auto Drive Positioner Modules. But when I think about the data I can read, it's probably only talking to the ECM. And where is that BCM? Seems to indicate it's behind the center console somewhere near the firewall. Someone said on this forum that the instrument cluster has to be removed - hope not!Any tests you suggest to help isolate this beast of a control system. Can we draw any conclusions on the health of the BCM or other systems by the fact that everything else in this car runs perfect?Thanks, ***** ***** is USA vehicle if that matters.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As suspected, it was the Seat Module. This issue is closed (but can't seem to delete it).
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

That is great to hear the fault has been corrected.I do apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete