Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Planning to buy 2005 Altima 2.5 S, ran 130K miles, observed

Customer Question

Hi, Planning to buy 2005 Altima 2.5 S, ran 130K miles
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: observed that it produce some sound when I accellarate the speed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, Does Altima has CVT noise issue common
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Though Car is 2005 model, carfax report says Title is clean, no accident history..When I took test drive, I observed that it produce some sound when accelerating the speed from 50 mph to 60 mph n further ..Dealer said that it is common in Altima car due to Exhaust..I didnt understand that. Could you please clariify.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Can you describe the noise your hearing?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Chris, Noise is considerable. It is not very disturbing but I can sense that sound which is little strange. I drive Toyota Camry where I have not heard that sound while accelerating the speed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We can discuss here..

Imagine all the things in and around your home that make noise. Does this noise from this car make a noise I can imagine from you comparing it to something else?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have gone through couple of links online. Many people says that CVT problem in Nisaan Altima is common due to which that whining sound comes while accelerating the speed. Need your expertise.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That noise is from the car.

Thanks, ***** ***** a whine your hearing.

Are you sure its a 05 Altima 2.5 S?

I ask because that model does not have a CVT.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Description of vehicle is given as 2005 Nissan Altima Base / S / SL
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When I asked question to Dealer regarding the noise, he said it is due to Altima Exhaust and it is the part of system which every Altima car has and he cant so that anything with it. I need your expertise on it.

A whine noise that starts at 50mph, I do not believe that is the exhaust to blame. That is more than likely something spinning. Possible causes:

• Tire tread design
  • wheel bearing
  • alignment
  • axle shaft support bearing
  • transaxle differential.

Try reving the engine in park to see if the noise occurs, if so then suspect a belt driven pulley causing the noise. An exhaust noise would be more like a rattle, or droan, not a whine unless there were a leak but you should be able to hear an exhaust leak just reving the engine.

A tire or alignment or wheel bearing noise would come and go while swerving, so that is an easy test to do.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will you suggest any Auto Shop where I can this car inspected fairly as I wanted to have another opinion from an expert after looking at the car. Any idea how these FireStone Auto Care are?

For me to suggest a shop I have never been in would be just a guess. You can go into one Firestone store and get the best service, nicest techs, cleanest shop, and great diagnosis. You can go around the corner into another and get the complete opposite. You would need to make your opinion of the shop you get to inspect it based on talking to them in person and looking around at the store.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
With your experience, how are the engines of Nissan Altima? I am a Toyota Camry fan so first time planning to try Nissan Car. That too it is 2005 so little concerned about how old Nissan Car engines are when it get used for 10-12 years compared to than of Toyota & Honda.

Nissan engines are great, they rank right up there with Toyota and Honda. As for any engine it all depends on how well it is cared for. You can go to any Honda or Toyota dealer and see dozens of cars under warranty getting engine repairs. It all depends on how well the engine is cared for.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please have a look at the Car Fax attachment of this car and let me know if it looks good to you.

I see nothing that stands out bad in that report.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Any cautionary steps you want me to note down and check before buying this car specially before going to DMV for transferring Title and getting it registered?

If your not able to check the car over yourself top to bottom to see if any concerns are found then pay a shop an hour of labor to do so for you.