Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have the "meter" fuse blowing immediately when I put a new

Customer Question

I have the "meter" fuse blowing immediately when I put a new one in and no gauges reading other than the fuel gauge.
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes, it is a 10A fuse
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Altima 1994
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am fixing all my cars by myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Since I had several bulbs in the dashboard burnt out I started there, but it all points to the body control module That's why I was checking the location.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is known as a dead short. This will require advanced electrical diagnostics. How good are you at electric?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No problem. I can handle it. Sufficient measurement equipment in-house.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

Remove the cluster assembly and insert the fuse and see if the fuse blows again and let me know.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I put the dashboard back in after replacing bro***** *****ght bulbs, cleaning all contacts and re-spldering the higher wattage resistor in the clock. Waiting for the rain to stop to measure "behind" the fuse. I noticed that it goes to the dashboard, back-off lights, gear selector and tranny. Just had the tranny refilled ~15 minutes before failure occurred.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 days ago.

How many bulbs did you change in the cluster? Where did you get the bulbs?

Customer: replied 11 hours ago.
Jay,I got it fixed. To give some description for the Nissan community here is what happened:
1. Disconnecting the gauge cluster did not help. Since the illumination is ~10W (4 Toshiba similar to "194" type b bulbs)
are low ohmic when cold the ohmmeter shows only 3 ohms in the "good" case.
2. The back-off light is only active in reverse, which is an easy analysis: when the fuse blows only after going to revers it is in
the wiring / bulbs in the back-off lights.
3. Disconnecting the gear selector switch behind the radio was a pain, but it showed no impact.
4. However taking the radio out and the cabling behind removed the short. This wiring was done unprofessional by adding a big wiring harness with connectors and connecting it wrapping cables together and insulating them with tape, which after years partially fell off. This most likely caused shorts on the metal structure behind the center console.
5. This avoided to debug the final failure possibility - the back-off switch and wiring harness on the tranny.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 hours ago.

That is good news.. Glad you found the problem. Is the radio after market? Cause that is something I would never have known. The radio uses dash illumination where 2 wires are just capped off and no longer used.

In any case... good work, and thanks for the update and glad you got the problem resolve..

Thanks Jay!