Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

I have a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe 104k miles Ive had the car

Customer Question

I have a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe 104k miles
Ive had the car for about 2 years now. Car ran excellent. Now out of nowhere I keep burning coil packs. Random cylinders. Sometimes one coil will go. Sometimes up to 3 coils will burn at a time. Ill replace them and same thing will happen. Sometimes they last a couple days. Sometimes they last minutes. I replaced the ignition condenser capacitor. Same problem again. I have sanded down the grounds for the front. (I only located 2 grounding points on front the timing cover.) Same problem. I now added my own grounds to the head to ground on the battery and same issue. This time it burned 4 coils! I dont know if there is other grounding on the car i should check or what else to diagnose. Please help
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

To resolve this issue you will need to replace all 6 coils, and replace the negative battery cable and If I remember right there is a ground cord on the drivers side as well that needs to be replaced. That will keep this issue from happening.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I cannot find the ground chord on the drivers side. Can you be a bit more specific. Also is there any grounds inside the car that i should check? Or on the transmission? Or on the ecm?
Expert:  Jay replied 6 days ago.

No, The grounds you have to worry about is mainly the negative battery cable. That is the main one you need to replace with all the coils. If you don't see a sub ground harness off the engine to the body, then that is the only ground you need to replace.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 days ago.

the inside grounds have no affect on the coils. Just the negative battery cable. mainly.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will replace the negative battery cable tomorrow. ( I won't have time to get to the dealership parts before they close.)
It does look old and a bit corroded from age. I will also sand down the body a bit to make sure it gets good contact.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 days ago.

You need to replace the negative battery cable from the dealer and replace all the coils.