I have a 2016 altima sl that was in flood, body shop took

Customer Question

i have a 2016 altima sl that was in flood, body shop took out carpets and all seats and was drying the car, when the person working on it touched and moved the airbag module thr side airbags deployed. they gave me a quote for 1800 as they said the module must have been defective from the flood and cause the airbags to deploy. the battery was still hooked up, is it possible that it was caused not by the flood but by moving the module fast, while still hooked up to battery. flood happened month ago, car was dried except under the carpets still damped.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the carpet was being removed and the battery was not disconnected and he tapered with the control unit for the air bag, it can certainly cause the air bags to go off.

Expert:  Jay replied 13 days ago.

The air bag control unit sits under the center console. So if I don't know how high the water came up in the car, but he would need to show you proof of the water intrusion to the control unit. It sure sounds like the Flood issue is a good excuse for him making a mistake

How long have you owned the car?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I owned it for a week, but flood happened a month ago or so, drive it put couple hundred miles on it and had the work done by them. thankfully the kids that was inside car didn't get hurt badly. the module was splitting there freely in the car and he stated that he touched it and air bags went off. he did say that they always work in airbags module and that never happened to him. is the module waterproof looking at it loos like it is? but sound like you feel that by moving the module the air bag could go off if battery is still connected ?
Expert:  Jay replied 13 days ago.

If the battery was connected and he bumped the module of course it will set off the air bags. We had a tech working on a flood car also one time. It was a Sentra. It was the summer time and it was hot out, so he decided to run the car and it's AC while doing the carpet and as soon as he touched the control unit, he set off both air bags. Just to give you a idea how sensitive it is if power is going to the control unit.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
csn u let me knowith if the modules are waterproof, and is there a way I can test to see if it is damaged.
Expert:  Jay replied 13 days ago.

None of the modules inside the car are water proof. The Modules under the hood are water resistant.