Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2004 maxima smells of gas after I come off highway through

Customer Question

2004 maxima smells of gas after I come off highway through the vents, had fuel reg change, injectors checked, hose on fuel pump checked.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Running out of options and I don't want to get rid of car.
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not replaced fuel pump
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

If your getting the smell of fuel through the vents then it is more than likely coming from one of 2 places. Either you have an exhaust manifold leak or a slow fuel line leak by the intake manifold.

Let me know how else i can help please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Way past that, they removed intake when the replaced gas regulator, next the checked fuel injectors and the lines attached to fuel pump under trunk
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

If the smell was from the tank it would be consistent.

Your getting the smell through the vents because of the airflow change from driving at high speeds to coming to a stop and its coming through the vents likely because your not on recirculate but instead using outside air. If that's the case I can't think of anywhere else it would come from.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

and you never mentioned your mechanic looking at the exhaust manifold.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, No I didn't cause it's raw gas smell, so they ruled that out.
And the air on recirculate
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

the exhaust manifold leak would allow unburnt fuel and gas to escape BEFORE the catalyst. It would smell no different than raw fuel.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

and there are no fuel or evap lines that travel inside the cab of the vehicle EXCEPT the access for the fuel pump in the gas tank under the rear seat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's where they looked, I guess the two gas dampeners at the fuel rails have caused problems in the past , that's where I'm going next
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

its really where the rubber lines connect at the damper/rail they will leak when the engine is cold and slowly drip into the manifold valley and you will never see the leak, just smell it.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

if the dampers themselves were failing they would generally make a knocking noise and it sounds like your driving a diesel engine.