Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

2009 Nissan Maxima SV 112k miles - Rattling under the hood

Customer Question

2009 Nissan Maxima SV 112k miles
- Rattling under the hood when accelerating when the car is cold and sometimes after it has been driven a while.
- OBDII is showing P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor error.
- I changed the spark plugs and 2 of the back 3 had oil on them.
Will fixing the oil issue (I'm guessing either O-rings or valve cove gasket) fix the other problem(s)?
If these are two different issues what should I look at to solve rattling/P0340?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. As far as oil on the spark plugs, if it's on the top part it won't cause any noises usually unless it's shorting out causing a misfire. just replace the gaskets and grommets. if it is leaking oil on the electrode that's another story. The cam sensor should be replaced as it controls valve rimming through the vvt drums . hope this gives you an idea where to start and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.