Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design

It it make a rattling sound when I accelerate, several days,

Customer Question

it it make a rattling sound when I accelerate
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: several days
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Nissan versa 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am taking it to the dealership but I am concerned it can be something major
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it also was idling very loud when I brake
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 13 days ago.

OK I'm assuming that this is one of the petrol / gasoline engine variants so I'd suggest to first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

then check all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the catylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhuast gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot

Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you