Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design

The gas pedal completely stops working but I can unhook the

Customer Question

The gas pedal completely stops working but I can unhook the battery and pull the sensor off the throttle body and let it sit for 5 minutes and it'll work again sometimes it'll work for 2 weeks sometimes it only works for a few days
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: I have been able to check the codes because I'm trying to get the car legal again the sensor that I'm talking about I think I'm pretty sure is the throttle positioning sensor but when I look it up online or when I call Advance it's always the wrong one that they pull up on their computers or the long one that I pull up online the only one that I found that the exact same as for the throttle body it's the sensor on them
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I basically it's a fixer-upper about it for like less than $400 I got two kids single father and it's the only car that I've got right now I have changed plugs plug wires change all fluids drove it for 3 months and all I would do to get it to go again is take the sensor off the throttle on the top side of the motor spin the little gear wheel for the throttle unhook the battery for 5 minutes and it would work but randomly it would just go out like sometimes I can drive it for a month no matter uphill downhill be hard on it just nice and easy sometimes it just go out every 15 minutes but I can't find just the right want to buy like from the auto parts store or on my apw app
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does this cost anything 4 advice
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
More information please
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Phone call please
Expert:  Matt replied 18 days ago.

OK the throttle will stop if it sees too high a current being pulled, so I'd suggest the next step is to remove the intake and clean out the throttle body with some brake cleaner & a lint free cloth, so its free of carbon and dirt as this can make it stick and sieze up

if this doesn't help then disconnect the throttle body and use some contact cleaner on both sides of the connector to ensure all contacts are bright and clean

and do the same for the pedal sensor, then check the wiring to each