Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2008 nissan altima 2.5 s won't shift out of 1st. Replaced

Customer Question

2008 nissan altima 2.5 s won't shift out of 1st. Replaced the TCM, still doing same thing. Shifts into neutral and reverse fine what else could be the problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

is the shifter itself going into 1st, the transmission just never goes into gear?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Reverse and first gear go in but seems to be stuck in low gear, there were no other issues with the vehicle prior to this, all fluids okay
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No burnt smell or anything, seems like transmission lock, indicator says in first gear but will not proceed wether in drive or manual mode
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could it be the throttle positioning sensor? Also, all the codes were erased from the system because the battery was taken out by previous owner
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

so you bought the car this way?just trying to get all the details. thanks for the good description?

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

also, what is the mileage please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
for very cheap... guy didn't know anything about it, said he was driving along heard a clunk and it was stuck in a low gear, no prior slipping of transmission or anything car was perfect , person may have shifted down to hard ... not sure
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

how many miles?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
144,000
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We pulled the shift assembly apart to see if the shift selector module was apart, and it wasnt
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

adn I assume you moved the shiftter through the gears and watched the linkage at the CVT itself? all was fine?

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

does the indicator on the dash say D ? but yet when you try to accelerate it won't shift out of first just revs extremely high at low speeds? shifting to tiptronic makes no difference as well?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the shifter won't move past first gear , it will drive around in first but won't go into higher gear, even in automatic drive
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
CVT says first gear, it shifts reverse and neutral and first fine no loud clunks, nice and smooth, just seems like trani is in a lock mode
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

SOrry I am confused. This is a 2008? because the shifter should say P, R, N, D

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

it doesn't have a 1, 2, or 3 for the CVT model?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
goes into drive and won't go into higher gears , there is no 1,2,3 I meant that it won't shift past the low gear in drive mode
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

ok, thank you that makes sense which is exactly what I was thinking was going on.

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

when driving the vehicle around it didn't present any revolution sensor codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All codes were erased when battery was taken out, car not on road to regain error codes
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

well it's hard to say based solely off just the symptoms. We need to look at come live data from the input and output shaft to see if your getting readings.

assuming it has the proper CVT NS2 fluid (green) and somebody didn't change it, and the linkage is working normally, then its more than likely going to be related to a sensor or a internal issue with the valve body. The only sensor that's serviceable outside the transmission is the secondary speed sensor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, well we will see
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good, let me know if you get any codes by driving it around slowly in first gear to make them trigger in the TCM.

If you need further help at that point I will be more than happy to assist further, just not enough data at this point to nail it down to a specific part failure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should we secure the car on blocks to run it so the codes are triggered ? We have a mechanic
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

You can run the car on the blocks i guess. If it's drive able then just drive it a little bit.

Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.

I wanted to check back and see how things were going?

If I can provide more assistance I would be happy to.