Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Ho, Nissan quest 2004, The car been acting weird. Every

Customer Question

JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Nissan quest 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Quest yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car been acting weird. Every night at least once, we will have no interior or external lights and the engine doesn't sound right. When I try to drive, it hardly move. When we turn it off and wait for a few minutes. The lights comes back on and the engine back to its normal for driving. I really don't understand what is real reason of losing lighting in the car ? Please advise
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Interior and the head light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The first thing that comes to mind that I would check based on your description is the Alternator. It sounds like it's intermittently not charging properly which is why it's causing what you are describing. What I would do to verify this is when this starts to happen pull over open the hood and put a volt meter on the battery. Then turn the AC and rear defroster on while the head lights are on and see what the charging system voltage is reading. That is considered testing with all loads on. With all loads, it should read around 13.9 volts. With all loads off, no lights, ac or rear defrost, it should read around 14.3 volts. Intermittent charging could be a hard thing to capture if it doesn't do it very often or very long. So that is why I am saying to try to keep a volt meter with you if you have one to be able to capture this when it happens.

When the alternator stops charging the car will run off the battery. Once battery voltage gets low, systems will shut down to direct the power to try to keep the vehicle running. Like the lights and could explain why it start to run poorly. That is why I am thinking it's a Alternator issue.

When it comes to Alternators, if you do find that is your issue, I recommend getting the part from the dealer. After market alternators don't tend to work or last as well as ones from the dealer. Example. A after market alternator has a normal life span of around a year or less. Where one from the dealer could last years. But that is also why it's more expensive.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you very much for your respond,
I will give you more details may be you could help me. Yesterday my wife was driving the car since 7am until 400 pm when she parked the car and started her job and everything was normal. She finished at 8:30 and used the remote to open the car which it didn't work. She opened it manually with the key. There was no doom light, no power windows or doors, no head or fog lights, no cluster light. The only electrical function was working through mirrors, GPS, the power seat. She tried to start up the car, and it did start up but the engine didn't sound normal. When she started to drive it. The car was hardly moving with a hard push on the gas padel. With that being said and the car was running normally just 4 hours prior. Do you think with bad alternator will cut off all electric function just like that. I mean all was completely off, it wasn't even like poorly lights.they were all completely off. And if the alternator is bad, what that has to do with the transmission or the shifting. Don't you think what I have in the car something related to the Bcm or the camshaft sensor. I'm really confused, please advise.
Expert:  Jay replied 18 days ago.

Well, after you check the alternator and battery, if it needs a alternator, after that is replaced I would do a draw test to see if anything is draining the electrical system. When you get a surge of low battery voltage, when you turn the car off, believe it or not, somethings may not shut off if it already has had a surge of low battery voltage which can drain the battery. That is what I would recommenced