Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

J+I have a question with Jay but don't know how to respond

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It won't let me in there
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Ok.. So then lets just continue here.

Where you see the oil leak. Is it dripping on to the exhaust manifold? What part of the exhaust is it leaking on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
drips on the exhaust when I stop at a light. Cleaned the whole area off with brake clean. It is impossible to see up there. I can let the car idle all day long no drip. Rev it up to about 3K and with in about a minute it starts smoking. Whatever's leaking is up high. replaced valve cover and oil cooler oring no change. It is on the right side up high.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We are sorry. You cannot access that page.
It may be an authentication issue, beta feature, or a blocked URL.
If you believe that you are seeing this message in error or if you would like to request permission to access this page, please contact Professional Support at***@******.***.This what I saw when I went tot the link you sent.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Right side meaning the side of the engine closest to the radiator, or the fire wall. I am only asking cause everyone has their own way of describing right and left.

Did you have this same leak before you did valve cover gaskets?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Firewall side, up high on the passenger side.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Towards the front of the engine, middle? Back?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
same leak before the valve cover, 2 different mechanics told me it was the valve cover.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
back side of engine, up high towards the right side maybe the timing cover?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the power steering pump gets wet the a arm is wet but the leak is high
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

If its by the timing cover area, that would be the front of the engine. Which if the valve cover has been replaced, it is very likely a timing cover oil leak.

The best way to isolate this type of leak if you can't fully verify it is to get engine oil dye. You would need a black light and yellow glasses, but you would be able to pin point the oil leak much better.

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

You can get this dye at a auto parts store as well as the black light and glasses. I would make sure you get the Black light and glasses before you add the dye to the engine.

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like a timing cover issue, but adding the dye would help verify and help you trace where the leak is coming from exactly.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the engine is sideways so in that light the "front side" with all the belts. This is the hardest car I have ever had to work ne, with the sideways motor I can't see or get to much.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How hard of a job is changing that cover gasket? It could also use a tensioner as it makes noise when the car starts.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

yeah it can be tricky. You can always take the drive belt off and run the engine with out the belt to try to see the leak also if it comes out that fast.

Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

If the tensioner makes noise when starting, you would need to go in there any way.

When I do these timing covers, the lower oil pan is removed, and the passenger side engine mount. Then the engine is jacked up to give you room to get all the bolts.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One other question off topic. This is the worst riding car I have ever had. Great on the off ramps but HARSH is the only word for the ride. All new struts, shocks and those low profile tires. Is this normal? This is my 3rd maxima the others were great cars.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

I am limited to one topic per question. But as far as the ride goes, it all depends on the size rims and tires. That is what really affects the ride. The bigger the rim, the lower the profile tire which can give you a harder right. The smaller the rim with the bigger side wall, the better ride you will have

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!