Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I changed my tries today and put 18"rims on instead now I'm

Customer Question

I changed my tries today and put 18"rims on instead now I'm getting a tons error code
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: No I don't have any tools and thier are 52272 miles on it
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2014 Nissan Altima
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't have any problems with it other than this error code that came on after changing the tires
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just need to kno if I'm going to have to take the 18" inch rims off or if it's just a notification of change in tires
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. to get a better picture of what's happening I need to ask questions .What is the recommended or original tire size?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The factory tires that I took off where 16"tires the new ones are 18" low profile
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you still there

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to help assist you. Ok just to confirm what I'm about to tell you I need to have the trouble codes to verify this. What the problem is ,all newer vehicles are set up to run on a certain size tire and if you alter that it ends wrong info th the ECU sort of GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT So if and when you can show me the codes we can further access this. There are some times speed o gears that you can get for certain vehicles for doing just what you did but not all can adapt. Hope this clarifies your issue and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry but no that wasn't very helpfully the cat showed no code just said toms error on dash

well you didn't have that code before the tire swap did you?and now you do what would happen if you put the original size back on ? IT IS OFFSETTING ALL THE INPUTS TO THE ecu PLAIN AND SIMPLE. aT THE START YOU SAID TONS OF ERROR CODES AND NOW YOU SAY TOMS ERROR CODE? WHAT IS IT i RELY ON YOUR INPUT TO HELP YOU.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I never said tons of anything I said it's showing tpms error code

Look I'm just trying to help you now it's three different things you typed ? please read up your ist and second replies. but now it's tpms which I can help you with. here is a link to explain this system and how it works. it is your tire pressure monitoring system.If it came on after tire replacement make sure the tire sensors where installed in the new tires and programed.also if they are all working and have all the same tire pressures present. I'll give you a link to explain the system to you and hope this clarifies our little missunderstanding. If you reqiure further assistance I'll be happy to do so. Good luck.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks I guess I will just have to reset tpms or whatever

Well if they are installed and new then you need to hook up a shop scanner to program the new sensors so the Ecu recognize them. then you need to record the numbers to have them on file if you ever change them again.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can that be done at a local auto parts store or do I have to go to dealership

that all depends if they have the proper scanner to do so,What you need to do is phone ahead and ask if they are capable of programing your (TPS) TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS to your ECM. I would think most tire shops today can but you may have to do the leg work in your area to find one .